Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Asstastic Countrywide

I'm getting the following message trying to transfer money from my savings account at Countrywide Bank:

Our online banking system is currently unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please try again later.


I read on Paul Kedrosky's blog that the entire financial sector is being cluster bombed in order to scare out rumors that a large financial company is filing for bankruptcy protection, with Countrywide stock down 28%. I had to make sure Countrywide still has FDIC protection this morning (imagine if any bank ever lost it; the run on the bank would be catastrophic! I should know more about the protocol for losing FDIC coverage...) Countrywide is even putting press release style messages above my account info, saying that their business is actually looking up, which of course erodes my confidence further.

No comments: